Chumbarov-Luchinsky prospect or “Chumbarovka” or as it is called by natives, is located in the center of the city running parallel to Troitsky prospect, starting from the city market and stretching to the Lenin square, connecting the administrative and business centers of town. In the past the prospect was called Pskovsky, and before that Sredny, and since 1921 it bears the name of F. Chumbarov-Luchinsky.
Today it is an original open air museum. In the early 1980-s, when the face of Arkhangelsk started changing rapidly, an idea sprung up. It was decided that they would gather in one place all the different types of houses and buildings that one could have found there in the early 20th century, and create a street of them that would remind us of wooden Arkhangelsk. It turned out that there were about 30 houses of that kind. In 1983 the first building to be relocated there was the Merchant Assembly building. The old building was dismantle and built again out of the same material. Other houses are built of new materials according to old measurements and sketches.
The only requirement was that the exterior should remain unchanged; the interior could be reorganized in accordance with the new purpose designated for the old building. Some of them remain residential but most of them are now shops or offices, in fact some are cafés, restaurants and even pizzerias.
The upgrading of Chumbarovka was completed in 2009 –lanterns, benches, wooden fences were installed, pathways were paved with tiles. Later sculptures appeared: the monument to the artist and storyteller Stepan Pisakhov, to Senya Malina – the character of his tales, to Russian women – domestic goddesses and to the writer Boris Shergin who had praised Arkhangelsk.
Address: Chumbarov-Luchinsky prospect